Hey, a friend just sent me this fab pic of reindeer cards made out of handprints. I always make my own cards every year and it’s hard to come up with something original each time, but what could be more personal than your very own handprint! Just draw around your hand onto some thickish card, cut it out and get that glitter stick out! I think they’ve used pipe cleaners for the antlers. That’s what I’m going to do. So easy. You can stick on googly eyes or paint your own and you don’t need brown card, white would be fine.
I’m also thinking they’d work well as felt tree decorations. Make a template on card, draw on to felt and cut out two. Sew together stuffing with uncooked rice. beeds or buttons for eyes and a snip of ribbon to hang them up. Brilliant.
And I’m not done yet. You could even use the same idea to make gingerbread rudolphs! And use icing for the eyes and to decorate. If any of you fancy having a go then here’s a gingerbread recipe. I’m also including a gluten free version for any of you who are Coeliac/GF intolerant like me… HAVE FUN and HAPPY EATING!
Ingredients350g plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
175g brown sugar
1 medium egg
4 dessert spoons golden syrup
Method1. Sift the flour, bicarb of soda and ginger into a mixing bowl.
2. Rub in the butter, and add the sugar.
3. Beat the egg and syrup and add to the flour mix.
4. Roll out onto a floured surface and cut around a handy reindeer template.
5. Bake at 160C for 12-15 minutes until golden. Leave on a wire rack to cool.
6. Decorate with icing (icing sugar, a splash of lemon juice or water and colouring or you can buy ready made tubes.)
GLUTEN FREE VERSION
- 225g rice flour (plus extra for dusting the work top)
- 125g gram flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter
- 175g dark soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 egg
- icing sugar, lemon juice or water and colouring
- In a food processor combine the flours, xanthan gum, spices and bicarbonate of soda. Whizz the ingredients to mix them thoroughly. Add the butter and process again till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and process again.
- Add the golden syrup and egg and process until the mixture starts to come together. Tip out onto a (rice) floured surface and form the dough into a smooth ball. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Take out the fridge and roll to the thickness of a £1 coin. Cut around a handy reindeer template, re-rolling the left overs to use it all up.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Line a baking sheet with non stick baking parchment and bake the cookies for approx 12 minutes until nicely browned. Leave to cool on the tray for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the biscuits are cooling, mix some icing sugar with enough water/lemon juice to make a fairly stiff icing, adding food colouring if you wish. Now decorate!